Happy New Year friends! I am so excited to share this recipe. We spent Christmas with my family in Buffalo, and my mom made this soup for us. We fell in love and HAD to steal the recipe. Apparently she has been making it for years! My hubby and I added our own touch to the recipe, so I hope you enjoy it as much as we do. Cheers to a brand new year! Happy 2018 y'all. The best is yet to come!
- 1 lb Italian Sausage - We use chicken sausage!
- 1 cup sweet onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 32 oz beef broth (5 cups)
- 1 can Mutti diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup water
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon basil - FRESH is always best!
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 cups tortellini
- 1 large zucchini, diced
- Parmesan Cheese - I LOVE the Merlot Parmesan by Sartori Cheese!
- Saute sausage in skillet over medium high heat. Season with salt and pepper, or as desired. I used my favorite Smoky Honey Habanero Rub . Crumble cooked sausage and remove from skillet.
- In the same skillet, saute onion and garlic.
- Add the onion and garlic to a large saucepan. Mix in beef broth, diced tomato, water, tomato sauce, basil and oregano. Let ingredients simmer over low-medium heat for 30 minutes.
- Add tortellini, zucchini and cooked sausage to the soup mixture. Simmer for an additional 5-7 minutes, or until tortellini is cooked.
- Serve hot with LOTS of parmesan cheese!
Note: You can also substitute (or add) diced green pepper instead of zucchini as desired!