I can't believe I haven't been doing this for years! I LOVE sweet potatoes,and am always looking for new ways to prepare them. If you don't like sweet potatoes as much as I do, feel free to use a regular baking potato or acorn squash. This is like loaded sweet potato heaven! The best part? This meal is not only healthy, but also very filling thanks to the protein and fiber from the beans and sweet potato!
Note: The salsa, cilantro and greek yogurt are NOT optional in my house :)
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow or orange bell pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1- 15 oz can of black beans
- 1 package enchilada sauce
- Salsa, cilantro and greek yogurt for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Poke holes in sweet potatoes with a fork, then place on foil-lined baking sheet. Roast potatoes in the oven for 40-50 minutes or until you can poke a fork or knife into the middle of the potato.
- While the sweet potatoes are roasting, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add in bell peppers and garlic. Cook until peppers are softened. Mix in enchilada sauce, and stir for 1 minute. Add black beans, and reduce heat to low. Let simmer until sweet potatoes are done, and sauce thickens.
- Once sweet potatoes are done, split them open. Top with bean and pepper mixture. Cover with salsa, cilantro and greek yogurt, as desired.
** Recipe IDEA creds to @veggiesandchocolate