I am giving you permission to indulge in chocolate AND bourbon for breakfast. It's the weekend, and we all deserve to celebrate ... right?! ABSOLUTELY. So grab those frozen ripe bananas, the biggest chocolate chunks you can find, and your favorite bottle of bourbon. Let's party!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup organic sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- chocolate chunks
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a loaf pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the butter and sugar until fluffy. Add in the egg, and stir well. Mix in the mashed bananas (frozen ones are always sweeter!), lemon juice and bourbon.
- Combine the two mixtures. Fold in the chocolate chips. Pour the batter into the loaf pan and spread evenly. Bake for 45-50 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
- For the french toast: Add olive oil to pan over medium-high heat. Slightly brown slices of banana bread on each side. Top with fresh banana slices, cocao nibs and maple syrup!