I really do LOVE my summer salads! They are ideal for lunch, or a casual al fresco dinner. You can substitute vegetables depending on the season, but zucchini and eggplant are PERFECT right now. The pearl barley and feta cheese add the perfect touch to this refreshingly delicious entree! Happy and healthy eating!
- 3 cups fresh arugula, or butter lettuce
- 3/4 cup pearl barley
- 1 medium eggplant, sliced
- 1 large zucchini, or 2 medium, sliced
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- vinaigrette of choice
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add barley, and cook for 30-40 minutes, or until tender. Drain, and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, preheat a stovetop grilling pan over medium-high heat. Brush both sides of sliced vegetables with oil, and season with salt and pepper. Grill vegetables, approximately 3 minutes per side, turning as needed.
- To assemble salad, divide cooked barley, zucchini, eggplant, arugula and sliced tomato among 2-4 plates. Drizzle with vinaigrette, and sprinkle with crumbled feta cheese.
- Add chicken, or shrimp (peeled and deveined) as desired.