Breakfast is my favorite! Baked oatmeal is a great lazy weekend meal. You can prepare the mixture in the evening, refrigerate overnight, and throw it in the oven to warm when you wake up. It also makes for a great holiday brunch treat for all the special people in your life. You can change up the recipe any time with your favorite fruits or spices. Reheat and top with vanilla ice cream for a healthy dessert alternative.
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups almond (or soy) milk
- 1/2 cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 ripened bananas, mashed (frozen bananas are sweeter!)
- 2 cups blueberries
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease casserole or baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine the rolled oats, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, salt and nutmeg.
- In a medium bowl, combine the milk, applesauce, vanilla extract and maple syrup. Stir well to combine.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the oat mixture, and stir until combined. Fold in mashed bananas and blueberries.
- Pour the oatmeal mixture into prepared dish, and bake for 35-45 minutes, or until the oatmeal is bubbly around the edges.
- Let oatmeal cool for 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy with a splash of almond milk, or maple syrup!