I have been trying to eat healthy this summer- organic, local, seasonal, etc. My newest lover is tempeh. You will see it in most of my salads. If you have never tried this delicious soy bean cake, then I suggest you do! Most days I toss the tempeh with olive oil, and brown it on the stove top. Lately I have become more adventurous, and boy has it been worth it. This sweet glaze will make you go crazy for tempeh! Other good tempeh marinade ingredients include citrus juice, coconut milk, peanut butter, ginger, spices and honey. As I always say, get creative!
- 1 package tempeh, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt, to taste
- In a medium bowl, mix together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, maple syrup, brown sugar, garlic powder and salt. Add the chopped tempeh, stir and cover. Let marinade sit in the fridge for 2-12 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place tempeh and sauce in baking dish and cook covered for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven, stir and bake for another 15-20 minutes.
- Plate tempeh, and cover with remaining marinade. Serce with grain of choice, or over a bed of greens.