My friends took me out the other night to celebrate my new job! We drank margaritas and ate tacos at Round Corner Cantina in Pittsburgh. I had the TASTIEST shrimp tacos EVER. This became my inspiration for a unique version of this amazing food. Also, tomorrow just so happens to be Cinco de Mayo.
This recipe is great for a summer party with family or friends. You can prepare most of the ingredients ahead of time, and refrigerate until you are ready to serve your guests (cover chopped avocado in saran wrap to avoid discoloration). The shrimp only take 4-5 minutes to cook. It is a healthy and lighter alternative to your classic tacos that I promise will become a party favorite.
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 avocados, peeled and chopped
- Tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Corn kernels, cooked and removed from cob
- Shallots, diced
- Tortilla shells (corn or wheat)
- Cajun seasoning*
- Cilantro, to garnish
* Cajun seasoning: Mix equal parts sea salt, smoked paprika, cumin, oregano, thyme, sage, garlic, chili powder
- Prepare tomatoes, avocado, shallots, and corn kernels.
- Mix spices for cajun seasoning. Add the shrimp and toss to combine. Cook on gas grill for 4-5 minutes, or on stovetop with 2 tablespoons EVOO.
- Warm tortilla shells on grill, or in oven. Serve cajun shrimp with tortillas, avocado, tomato, shallots and corn. Top with freshly squeezed juice from lime, and garnish with cilantro.