This recipe is a new favorite. It has basil (my all-time favorite herb), fresh mozzarella cheese, and it is loaded with lots and lots of sweet grape tomatoes. And it has quinoa (easily-prepared, healthy, hearty, and full of nutrients). If you haven't cooked with it, then I suggest you try this recipe. It definitely adds a delightful twist to the traditional Italiano version of Caprese pasta. I told you that #italianscancookanything.
- 2 cups quinoa, cooked
- 1-1/2 cups pasta sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Cook quinoa, and set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat tomato sauce and tomato paste in a large saucepan over low heat until warm. Stir in heavy cream, parmesan cheese, crushed red pepper. Remove from heat.
- Add cooked quinoa. Fold in half the fresh mozzarella and grape tomatoes. Stir in fresh basil.
- Spray 8x8 baking pan, and pour entire quinoa mixture into the dish. Top with remaining mozzarella and tomatoes.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then broil for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is bubbly. Remove from oven, and top with fresh basil.