Tonight I made a hearty italian dish filled with the flavors of fall: pumpkin and sage. I had been craving roasted pumpkin for the last week. and decided to use my italian roots to create this delicious twist on homemade lasagna! Once I tasted the delectable layers, I knew there would be no turning back. I know that making lasagna can seem time consuming, but I promise that every layer is totally worth the effort. If you have never cooked with sage, then you will thank me after inhaling the scent of fresh sage and bubbling mozzarella cheese. Therefore, you are so welcome!
- Cut Sugar Pumpkin (Trader Joe's)
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- Ricotta Cheese
- Mozzarella Cheese
- 2 tablespoons Pumpkin Pie Spice
- Lasagna Noodles
- Unsalted Butter
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Toss cut sugar pumpkin in olive oil. Sprinkle generously with pumpkin pie spice. Place pumpkin on baking sheet, and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until light golden and tender.
- Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees F.
- Melt butter in a small saute pan over medium-high heat. As soon as butter starts to sizzle, add sage. Cook for several minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat, and set aside.
- Place roasted pumpkin in a medium bowl, and mash 1/2 with fork or back of spoon.
- Assemble lasagna. Spread a layer of ricotta cheese in baking dish. Top with layer of noodles. Spread 1/2 of roasted pumpkin over noodles. Top with ricotta cheese and mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat layering once more. Top assembled lasagna with brown butter sage, and bake until cheese is golden and bubbling, approximately 30-35 minutes. Remove from oven, and let cool before serving,