I LOVE, love, love being Italian! I could make spaghetti and meatballs or lasagna every night of the week if my family allowed me to. These stuffed shells are a great way to shake up your dinner routine. You really can't go wrong with pasta stuffed with lots and LOTS of cheese! And the shells were all the better when topped with crunchy Italian Panko breadcrumbs. The best part about this recipe is you can prep them ahead of time! I seriously can't believe that I have no stuffed shells recipes on the blog right now... ZERO!
Earlier in the week I made Butternut Squash Alfredo Stuffed Shells, inspired by Gimme Some Oven's recipe! They... were... AMAZING! I highly recommend trying that recipe! #nomnom
- 1 box large or jumbo shells
- fresh ricotta cheese
- mozzarella cheese, shredded
- tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta shells until al dente. Drain well, and rinse cooked shells under cold water.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Spread an even layer of tomato sauce in a baking dish. Stuff a tablespoon or two of ricotta cheese inside each of the cooked shells, and lay them in the baking dish, filling-side-up.
- Spoon another layer of tomato sauce evenly on top, then cover with mozzarella cheese.
- In a small bowl, stir together the Panko breadcrumbs, melted butter and italian seasoning until combined. Sprinkle the Panko mixture over the top of stuffed shells.
- Bake uncovered for 15 minutes, or until Panko mixture is crispy and turns slightly golden.
- Remove from oven, and serve immediately with Italian bread.